Constitution Square (Plaza de la Constitución)
Constitution Square is the epicenter of the historic center’s vibrant social life and its famous concentration of bars—reportedly the highest in the world. And since it’s San Sebastián, the bars serve an assortment of great Basque beverages such as txakoli wine and cider.and pintxos (small plates world-famous for their deliciousness).xa0
Most walking tours start at the square and naturally focus on gastronomy. Dipping into a curated selection of bars, you’ll sample signature pintxos such as stewed rabbit and local spider crab with anchovy. Those with special needs, from vegetarians, lactose/gluten intolerants to those with disabilities are easily accommodated.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Constitution Square is an ideal spot for all travelers, especially foodies and wine lovers.
- The plaza is affectionately known to locals as La Consti.
- The square is where the city’s main festivals are celebrated.
- Walk over to the promenade along the harbor to enjoy the view.
How to Get There
Constitution Square is located in the center of San Sebastián’s Old Town. The best way to find Old Town is on foot or by the city’s easy bike-sharing service. As well, taxis are cheap (find them at official taxi stands as they don’t stop when hailed) and the public D-Bus, services all the main points of interest in the city.
When to Get There
Day and night, the plaza is an epicenter of activity, with its cafés always packed. January 20, at the stroke of midnight, Tamborrada takes over the plaza, with 24 hours of non-stop drumming by more than 15,000 drummers. December 21, food and cider stands fill the square for Saint Thomas Day, and in August, Semana Grande is a week-long festival of cultural and sporting events, regattas, and fireworks.
Bullfighting in the Square
Above the windows of the colorful buildings facing the square are reminders of the square’s former life as a bullring, in the early 19th century. The numbers designated balconies rented by spectators watching matadors fighting the bulls. The bullfights have since moved to the larger Plaza de Toros.
- Things to do in Basque Country
- Things to do in Bilbao
- Things to do in Santander
- Things to do in Bordeaux
- Things to do in Zaragoza
- Things to do in Toulouse
- Things to do in Segovia
- Things to do in Madrid
- Things to do in Tarragona
- Things to do in Barcelona
- Things to do in Girona
- Things to do in Toledo
- Things to do in Valencia
- Things to do in Aquitaine
- Things to do in Aragón
- San Sebastian Old Town (Parte Vieja Donostiarra)
- San Telmo Museum (STM)
- Victoria Eugenia Theatre (Teatro Victoria Eugenia)
- Monte Urgull
- San Sebastián Aquarium
- Buen Pastor Cathedral
- La Concha Beach (Playa de la Concha)
- Santa Clara Island (Isla de Santa Clara)
- Miramar Palace (Palacio de Miramar)
- Ondarreta Beach (Playa de Ondarreta)
- Monte Igueldo