Explore our promoted experiences
- Combined Alcatraz audio-walking tour and excursion to Muir Woods and Sausalito
- Listen to an audio-guided walking tour of the Alcatraz 'Cell Block'
- Explore the giant redwood sequoia trees at Muir Woods
- Shop and relax in Sausalito, California's prettiest town
- Access free Wi-Fi on board tour vehicle
Why Travelers Choose This Tour
Departure & Return
Union Square Area - Downtown San Francisco (meet us at 478 Post St. Encore Cafe is next door. The bus will board from directly across the street) Arrive by 7:25 AM to check-in Bus Departs at 7:40 AM
Gray Line Fisherman’s Wharf Departure Location (meet us at 2805 Leavenworth St. - Blue canopy - the bus will board just in front) Arrive by 7:45 AM to check-in Bus Departs at 8:00 AM
Customers will be dropped off at Pier 33. Driver will direct customers to the Alcatraz Cruises departure point. This ends the bus transport portion of the tour. Customers will need to make their own way back after they finish the Alcatraz tour.
What To Expect
Board the ferry to Alcatraz at Pier 33 on the Embarcadero in San Francisco. Enjoy the scenic ride across San Francisco Bay to Alcatraz Island, and disembark to start your independent tour of this island prison. Put on your provided headset to listen to the award-winning audio tour, “Doing Time,” and learn about notorious criminals like Al Capone who were incarcerated here. Hear about escape attempts from 'The Rock,' and listen to commentary from former inmates and staff.
Muir Woods and Sausalito:
Cross the Golden Gate Bridge and travel north to Muir Woods National Monument for your exploration of the giant coastal redwood trees. This old-growth forest is home to some of the planet’s oldest and tallest trees, which you can admire in all their glory as you walk along shady paths.
Then head to Sausalito, a picturesque small town just north of the Golden Gate Bridge that sits between the Marin Headlands and San Francisco Bay. You have leisure time here to walk along the waterfront, maybe purchase a snack (own expense) or perhaps shop in the galleries and boutiques.
NOTE: Due to schedule limitations with Muir Woods, there is a chance that this tour will be held on two separate days. You will be informed prior if your Muir Woods visit will be held on a different day from your Alcatraz visit.
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Alcatraz reservations are first come first serve, all reservations are finalized (11) days prior to your departure date. No refunds or changes allowed after this date.
- All Alcatraz tickets are given on a will call basis. Upon arriving Alcatraz landing Pier 33, guests will get their tickets from the Guest Services counter (upon customer identification is shown)
- You must provide first and last names, along with ages of all passengers to confirm your reservation. If for any reason you do not provide this information within the window of time provided, your Alcatraz tour will be forfeited.
- The Alcatraz portion usually takes 2.5 hours to complete, with its audio tour consisting of approximately 45 minutes. You are advised to inquire on your arrival to the island as to what time the next guided tour will begin. There is no restriction on the amount of time you spend on the Island. The ferry boat service departs Alcatraz every 30-60 minutes and you can disembark at your own leisure.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Infants must sit on laps
- Most travelers can participate
- Pier 33 is the last stop and ends the bus transport portion of tour. Customers will need to make their own way back to their desired destinations after Alcatraz.
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 35 travelers
- OPERATED BY Gray Line San Francisco
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms